Monday, October 26, 2009

First of all, can I just say that I'm totally spoiled? Because I so am.

The store that I used to manage has a yoga studio above it. Because the studio is owned by the same company as the store, I helped out quite a bit there and in exchange took a ton of free yoga classes. When I gave in my resignation, I shyly mentioned that I would love to continue on as a paying student at the studio. The owner smiled and said that she was sure that we could work something out.

The upshot of this is that I'm still going to be helping out at the studio in a kind of energy-exchange sort of thing for free classes. This is awesome for several reasons, because not only do I get to take classes, I get to work behind the desk (which I love) and it gives me an excuse to visit my old staff.

In other news, my shoulder is a lot better. I've been using this Jivamukti China Gel that one of my teachers gave me, and it really does help. I've also been paying more attention to my alignment, so now my shoulder only twinges every once in a while.

In other, other news the new job is good. It's great to leave every day at five and not think about work when I get home. There are a lot of positive things about my new work environment. However, I have to admit that it's weird for me to suddenly be working at this big, faceless corporation. If my idealistic 18 year old self could see me now, she would be disgusted.

I used to think that I would never be the type of person to do a job that I wasn't passionately in love with. I thought that no amount of money could tempt me away from following my dreams, and so on, and so forth. Insert your typically angsty teenage rant here. And of course, it doesn't help that I have friends who have really great jobs with not-for-profit organizations or working with people with disabilities who pretty much spend all day helping people.

I have good, solid employment and I don't want to complain about it, so all I'll say is this: it sucks growing up and realizing that sometimes you have to do less-than-great stuff to pay the bills.

Also, Project Halifax is a lot harder when you work for a financing company than it is when you work at a little neighbourhood store frequented by the very wealthy who really have very little excuse for being cranky. Oh well. I'm not giving up.

1 comment:

Eco Yogini said...

oh i'm so glad that your shoulder is feeling better!!
and yes you are so right- i do need to email the local studios to see what i can find... :) i will be doing that tomorrow when i (hopefully) am feeling better. Also- yogaglo ROCKS.

yay for new job going well! isn't it nice to leave at 5pm?? i also think so. i can see that project Halifax would be trickier though... but maybe you can think of it as being MORE important- these people NEED you :) they need happiness. :)