Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mmmm lentils

I started my home practice again tonight. I did Surya Namaskar A & B followed by some back bends and other fun stuff, then finished up with a handstand. It sounds a bit boring when I write it down here, but seriously, it was SO GOOD. Then Matt (a.k.a. el husband) and I had some lentil soup and challah, and that was also SO GOOD. Now I'm chilling out on my reading couch with the kitties while Matt does homework in the other room.

I read a really interesting article in the NY Times this weekend about possible biological reasons for anxiety. You can find it online here. You might need to have an account with the NY Times to access it, but it's free to sign up. The article talks about how very anxious people seem to have an overreactive amygdala, and warning signs can be present as early as infancy. What interested me is that I don't feel like I was a particularly anxious child (although I am a fairly anxious adult!) but my mother always said that I hated new or strange situations, or any kind of disruption to my schedule, which is totally one of the signs. Anyway, it was pretty timely since I'm certain that the new job will send me into anxiety overdrive. Some people are great in new situations; I am terrible.

Here's a video that makes me smile and pretty much cures any anxiety:


No comments: