Monday, August 17, 2009

Kula Shaker

I have the day off from work and I wanted to try something new, so I decided to check out the Kula yoga studio in the Annex. 

First of all, I have to say that they have a gorgeous space. The whole place is very bright and open and clean, and the studio itself is beautiful. You can tell that it used to be a living space, because there's an old bricked up fireplace in the studio, which they've turned into a sort of altar with a statue of Vishnu in it. 

They're a green studio, using cork flooring in the studio and radiant heat panels for hot classes, among other things. One neat idea that they have is they offer mason jars as water bottles for students who have forgotten theirs at home. You can read more about their eco-friendly ideas here.

The class I took was "Anusara-Inspired" and taught by a lovely woman named Marinella. She had a very gentle, sweet style of teaching that I really liked. I didn't know much about Anusara yoga, but of course the poses were familiar, and I soon got into the rhythm of it. I find that attending a new style of yoga is like going to a church of a different denomination - even if the prayers or service are different, it's all pretty familiar.

Even though it wasn't a hot class, it wasn't long before I was a sweaty mess. From where my mat was, I could see the heating controls on the wall, and apparently it was 32 degrees in there. Not that I minded! I'm the type of person that doesn't sweat easily, so if something makes me break into a sweat, I actually enjoy it. Weird, I know. 

Another weird thing is that I noticed my left leg sweating way more than my right. I wonder if it has something to do with the plate? I know that, being metal, it heats up or cools down far faster than my body does.

Maybe it was due to the heat, but it was a fairly gentle class. We did get to do some fun stuff, though, including crow, which I was able to hold a LOT longer than I usually can. Maybe I'm actually getting some strength in my arms? One can only hope.

All in all, it was pretty great. I took advantage of the first week special, which is unlimited classes for eight days. I might go back for their five o'clock class, if I'm not too lazy. I'll have to bring my mat with me this time, since they do charge a rental fee. Which means that I should get a proper bag or strap for my mat. Which means that I should probably get a move on.

Have a gorgeous day!

No comments: