Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Whole World vs. First World

I am sitting out on my fire escape as I type this, enjoying a gorgeous summer night. I tried to take a picture of my view for you, but it was too dark. I'll do my best to describe it for you:

I'm on the third floor, on a wrought iron fire escape just outside my dining room window - my cat is sitting on the sill, giving me a very bewildered look. Our building has a courtyard out back shaded by several gorgeous old trees, and a few of my neighbours have set up patio furniture down there. A family from the next floor down is sitting out there right now - I can see the flicker of a lighter and hear the murmur of conversation. 

The rest of my view is taken up by the building behind mine, but I don't mind. Both it and my building date back to the 20s, and they are wonderful specimens of the architecture of this era. My boyfriend just poked his head out the kitchen door and asked if I wanted some ice cream.

I am very lucky.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. How lucky I am, I mean.

First of all, let me make a confession: I complain a lot. I complain about my job, about the heat, about my family, about having to wait in a line at the grocery store, about the rude man at the bank. I make a big production of it, sighing and rolling my eyes, hoping everyone will know just how difficult my life is.

It's not really that difficult. Not when I put it into perspective.

Lately I've been trying to classify my problems as "whole world problems" and "first world problems". Had to wait in line at the grocery store? First world problem. At least I have a grocery store to shop in, and I have money to buy food with.

My mother went out and bought favours for my wedding, even though I told her that I wanted cards from the cancer society saying that a donation had been made in my guests' names? First world problem. I am marrying the person I love, and my mother cares enough about me to help pay for the wedding. So what if I don't agree with everything she wants to spend her money on? She's doing it because she'd excited that her daughter is getting married.

I challenge you to think before you open your mouth to complain about something. Is this really an issue that will make or break your life? Children are starving to death, mothers are dying in childbirth from inadequate medical care, wars are raging around the world. Is it really worth putting up a fuss because the sandwich you ordered isn't made exactly to your specifications?

To end on a happier note, here's one of my favourite videos of all time, by Halifax artist Jenn Grant:




No comments: