Thursday, November 26, 2009

Girly stuff

This doesn't have much to do with yoga, but it does have to do with thinking more about how I take care of myself and the way I treat my body, which is why I'm writing about it here.

I've been on the pill off and on for the past 6 or 7 years. It seemed like an obvious choice to be on it at first - it was a good method of back-up birth control, and then with Matt, once we realized that we both wanted a long-term commitment, it made sense to stay on it.

Now, the more I think about the fact that I'm putting synthetic hormones in my body, the more I'm questioning how good/safe this is.

On the other hand, it seems like condoms probably aren't terribly environmentally friendly.

How do you guys feel about the pill? Have you been on it? What made you decide to stay on it or stop using it? Do you have any alternatives to suggest?

2 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

yep, still not on it (i think it's been six months since I stopped). finally my period is back to being regular. five years of irregularity and about 10 different birth control pills and i'm happy to not worry about it.

however, condoms aren't the greatest for the planet.

I have heard of many women using the rhythm method- and that means taking your temperature every single morning and charting your cycle. i am not that committed (to doing that) and have no wish to risk having a baby. ...

i think it's a personal choice- however I hear ya on the synthetic stuff, it was weird to finally have a normal period cycle after ten years.... :S i couldn't remember what it felt like!

Moon to Moon said...

Me and my partner are both quite anti-medication so we decided against any form of medical birth control, although i did toy with the idea of a coil, so we use the Withdrawal method. This is the oldest way to practice birth control and 35 million people are supposedly following this way.

As you can imagine it was a challenge for my blokey at first but it has worked for the last 6 years for us. I am however quite in tune with my menstrual cycle and where i am at, so i guess i use the rhythm method to my advantage to at certain times of the month.

Obviously this method is not for everyone and it has its draw backs.

Good question, i never told anyone any of that.