Thursday, September 3, 2009

Emotions are not the enemy


Today was exactly what I needed. I slept in, lounged around the house until the afternoon, ran a few errands and then did a couple of yoga classes. Yes, a couple. I ended up taking a class right after my private session. Two and a half hours of yoga today! Crazy.

I've often had teachers say that a certain pose or twist can release certain emotions, and I have to admit that I've often rolled my eyes at that. Today, though, after doing a particularly difficult shoulder-opener in my private class, I started bawling for absolutely no reason. I mean, yes, I've been generally stressed about the wedding, family, work, etc., but I was feeling really good today! Fortunately, I was alone with one of my all-time favourite teachers, so it wasn't as embarrassing as it could have been. She encouraged me to let go and just have a good cry, and I have to admit that I felt waaaay better afterwards. 

My practice was so much smoother and cleaner after I had my little meltdown. The second class was actually a breeze compared with the private one! Later, a friend of mine called, and she said that I sounded happier than I have in weeks. So maybe a few tears are a good thing?

Have any of you ever experience an emotional release while practicing? When and what happened? I am actually super fascinated by this now!

p.s. The picture today is from Riverdale Farm here in Toronto - because who can resist a tunnel with a light at the end of it?

2 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

i have totally experienced that at the end of class!! i was emotional, stressed and soooo happy to have finally found a class and instructor that i liked (it had been two years since i'd last had a positive yoga experience).
I cried.... and i had just met the teacher lol. it was ok.
i find pigeon pose one that makes me want to cry..... but i hold it in lol. i probably shouldn't cuz you're right- letting go is a good thing!

i'm glad that you felt better afterwards and that you had such an awesome day!! (that picture is beautiful!)

Editor in Chief, Changing Crow said...

I have laughed, cried and yelped during asana practice- and in my daily life practice I do a lot of the same. What a wonderful exploration of body, mind and spirit. It is like opening Pandora's box! How wonderful... This practice has also been a huge teacher to my personal relationships. I feel I can finally observe myself and others without all the turmoil of emotion, or rather, believing that the emotions are me. Once we realize stressful emotions are outside of our True Selves, things get a whole lot easier. Thanks for the post!